February 10, 2008

Here's "Lookin' at You, Kid"

Okay, okay. I'm getting horribly less committed to posting within a reasonable time frame. I'm working on it, promise!

Shane.

First, the writers failed miserably at disrupting their perpetual reinforcement of monogamy as normative. The whole Shane, Dawn, and "lover" Cindy triangle could have turned into a positive representation of an open relationship. Instead, Cindy "cheats" with Shane, Dawn freaks out, and enter back into heteronormative monogamous drama.

The whole "lover" Cindy bit is ridiculous as well. Hi, a show about women, for women that continues to subjugate women. Cindy has no voice when she is with Dawn; Dawn speaks for the two of them, "Hi I'm Dawn and this is my lover Cindy." Dawn goes off on Shane at the party and Cindy is shushed by Dawn. Refer back to my reference to Biddy Martin's discussion on racialized lesbian identity, stretch the analogy a little, and it's no surprise that Dawn is the dark-haired, darker featured while Cindy is the tall buxom blonde, the representation of the objectified woman to the max. Still not buying it? Look at Cindy's interaction with Shane. Cindy, the giggly flirtatious waitress and Shane, the leering, lascivious onlooker. What a way to throw sexual desire and attraction back into the subject/object dichotomy that contributes to the objectification of women. And I must give credit where credit is due, as this episode was written and directed entirely by Angela Robinson. Cheers Angela, you did a bang up job!!!

Props and Flops

I'll keep this post relatively short, as I'm already getting ready for the next post for the episode that aired tonight. Here's a list of the goods and bads from this last episode. Let's start with the big disappointment:

-Max says that he doesn't think Adele is exactly who she pretends to be. Alice says, "You're one to talk there, Max" with an I just burnt you look on her face, and Shane joins in the fun with a little "ooh" like she got you. Max just says "You know what, fuck off," Alice smiles, and then Max proceeds to help her with her Lesboland podcast. For the sake of trans people everywhere, somebody needed to say something about the insinuation that trans identity (yes, identity) is a pretending to be what one is not. Maybe all identities are an acting or pretending to an extent, but trans people are not pretending to be something they are not. How absurd that this line was able to sneak right on by with a haha attitude.

Now for the goods:

-Full male frontal nudity during the skinny dipping scene, hoorah, way to break that taboo!

-Excellent, excellent acting at the party. "Gay brownies" were hilarious!

-The Tasha-Alice drama is well written, maybe pushing the polarities a little, but the celebrity outing was a nice little write in. Cheers, Angela!

Still holding out for that new theme song...

3 comments:

Ily said...

I really like your blog! Super-interesting stuff. I definitely have to bite the bullet and catch up on YouTube.

Karli June said...

Cool. Glad you like it! I'm going to link you up, as soon as I figure out how...

Anonymous said...

The best part was Alicia Leigh Willis nude scene. That girl is so hot!!!

I'm actually a heterosexual woman, but I love to see the naked female body, in fact more-so than I do male nudity. I'm quite turned-off by male frontal nudity.